Writing a formal trainer report on trainee performance
The guidance below is intended for use if a trainer needs to write a formal report on a trainee, for example if there is a referral to the GMC or GDC, or if the courts are involved.
If you want guidance on writing a simple report to brief the PSU before it becomes involved with a trainee difficulty, click here.
Formal report: main headings and content
- Background-summarized CV and achievements
- Context -personal circumstances and career aspirations
- Information about current job-dates and work arrangements
- Overview of educational progress:
- Milestones and achievements
- Learning style preferences
- Educational aspirations
- Strengths and areas for improvement.
- Overview of issues discussed. Each issue should be recorded, giving:
- Relation to criteria for satisfactory completion:
- Issues of health should relate to the effect on performance, and time off sick allowed before additional training required.
- Isolated issues of conduct are dealt with by disciplinary procedures of Trust and may have implications for satisfactory completion of training or referral to GMC.
- Agreed reflections on why problems have occurred
- Targeted Personal Development Plan
- Monitoring arrangements
- Clarity over the roles and responsibility of the trainer and trainee
- Date for review (normally about 6 weeks)
- Implications for satisfactory completion of training
- Agreed collaboration with others